Almost a year ago, for my birthday, I wrote a self-indulgent, little list of my lessons learned in the past decade. I’m not normally one to repost a blog post but I’m fairly certain I had ten followers at the time (all immediate family) so it’s almost like a new post, right? (Hey, it’s my birthday. Go with it.)
Things I’ve learned in the past decade:
- Sleep is precious.
- I will never like fish or peas, not even when I get older.
- Sometimes the only thing to say is “I’m sorry.”
- I miss camouflage and combat boots.
- Marriage isn’t supposed to be romantic. (It’s bigger than roses and candlelight anyway!)
- Parenting magazines stress me out.
- There’s power in small acts of kindness.
- No matter how much I get rid of before a move there will always be a box (or ten) filled with stuff that wasn’t worth moving across the country.
- Real friends are the people I can call after years of not talking and feel like we picked up mid-conversation.
- There but for the grace of God, go I.
- I am not good at potty training.
- I am, however, good at house training dogs. Go figure.
- I will never understand how the Internet works.
- My kids hear everything.
- Some short-cuts are worth taking.
- Everybody is NOT looking at me.
- There is never enough time.
- There is no mandatory pt in the civilian world so I’m solely responsible for finding time to exercise.
- “Life is too short” is not an excuse to live recklessly; it’s the reason to live thoughtfully.
- Parenting is not easy.
- Never let kids see their schoolwork or art in the trash.
- I should never leave a room without putting away at least one thing. If there’s nothing to put away, I need to look around carefully because I’ve possibly walked into the wrong house.
- This too shall pass is true, no matter what “this” is
A year has gone by since I wrote this list and it’s been quite a year. I’ve relearned some of these things and had to put some of them into action like never before. I hope to learn less in the next year. Life lessons are exhausting!
What life lessons have I missed?